Xerox is one of the world’s leading company in area of service enterprise and document management. Xerox provides industry’s broadest portfolio of offerings in area of documentation. The company has in its portfolio Digital systems, which include publishing systems and white and black and color printing and publishing systems, multifunction devices, “book factories” and digital presses, fax machines, solid ink & laser network printers and copiers. Xerox also provides services through its experts, which include help businesses in developing online archives of documents, analyze and implement knowledge and document sharing in the office, operate mailrooms and in-house printing shops and build Web-based systems for personalized invoices, direct mail, brochures etc. Xerox also provides associated consumables like toner, ink and paper along with software to run the system. The entire operation of company is employee centric and customer focused with values like diversity, quality and social responsibility.
The company was founded in year 1906 as The Haloid Company. Later in year 1958 the name changed to Haloid Xerox and subsequently got the current name of Xerox Corporation in 1961. The company has 53,700 employees worldwide which includes 28,400 in the United States. Xerox operates in 160 countries and is headquartered in Stamford, Connecticut, USA. The company is ranked 142 amongst Fortune 500 ranking.
Xerox has variety of customers which include companies in area of graphic communications, government establishments, education institution, Fortune 1000 corporate, document intensive firms like legal, healthcare and financial services and small business establishments. The company has channel of sales force and independent agents, dealers, system integrators and resellers etc for promoting and providing services.
The company has almost 8,000 sales people, 12,000 employees in managed service at customer sites, and 13,000 employees in technical service. The company also has more than 7,000 agents and more than 10,000 resellers in technology. Xerox also forms alliances with business houses and big IT firms to provide complete integrated solution and service to customers.
Xerox Corporation is listed in New York Stock Exchange under the ticker XRX. The company registered annual revenue of $16 billion in year 2006 which is 1% increase than FY 2005 and income was registered as $1.2billion.
The company acquired Amici LLC which is provider of e-discovery i.e. electronic discovery services which supports regulatory compliance and litigation. Hence Amici is now branded Xerox Litigation Services. Xerox also purchased XMPie, Inc, to increase presence in growing market. XMPie provides products which are used for personalized communications and marketing campaigns which involve email, customized websites and digital printing.
In year 2006, Xerox introduced 14 new products in the market and they have won 200 different industry award. Few of them are as follows:-
• Xerox got certification of excellence from J.D. Power and Associates in area of customer service and support for two years in a row.
• DiversityInc, Fortune, Essence, Black Enterprise, the Human Rights Campaign, Latina Style, the Human and others have awarded the company’s diversity and workplace programs.
• The World Environment, the Chamber of Commerce US, the National Wildlife Federation Community etc have awarded company’s environmental efforts
• The company has been consistently ranked amongst the “Most Admired” companies by Fortune magazine.
• Xerox was ranked No. 1 by computers industry for 2006 in area of “social responsibility”.
The company has following segments which are used for reporting purposes:-
• Production: This segment caters to 28.81% of total business i.e. $4.5 billion. It provides high end color systems and digital monochrome systems for clients in communication & graphics industry. The devices include digital printing, enterprise printing and full-color printing. The company has FreeflowTM which is a digital workflow and can improve content creation & management. In 2006 company introduced following products Xerox iGen3 90; Xerox DocuColor® 5000; Xerox 4590 EPS & 4110® EPS; Xerox DocuTech®, Custom Color Program; XMPie: Xerox Nuvera TM, which is digital perfecting system.
• Office: This segment caters to 47.97% of total business i.e. $7.6 billion. It caters to national, global regions covering small to medium customers. It also covers government, education and public sector clients. It has black and white as well as color multifunctional systems that Color and black-and-white multifunction systems that combine copying, printing, scanning and faxing. It also has laser and solid ink color printers which can be networked in office space. It also provides necessary software to enhance productivity and streamline the information flow and storage. The primary products of this segment include: Phaser®, WorkCentre®, , DocuShare®, office document assessment and CentreWare®.
• DMO (Developing Markets Operations): This segment caters to 12.19% of total business i.e. $1.9 billion. It includes sales, marketing and servicing of company products in developing markets like Brazil, Latin America, India, Eurasia, the Middle East, Africa and East-Central Europe. This segment utilizes subsidiaries, Joint ventures, distributors, affiliates, resellers and dealers to manage business of servicing.
• Others: This segment caters to 11.03% of total business i.e. $1.7 billion. This segment primarily incorporates wide format systems, paper sales and value adding services. It provides paper of various sizes to customer as per their printing needs. Its value added services include providing solution to customers’ document output and infrastructure requirements. It helps in simplifying, streamlining and digitizing the processes which are document intensive.